29.10.08

120/80 is not normal

Today I visited my company's clinic to have my blood pressure checked.

J: Hi Doctor.
Dr: Hi have a seat, what's wrong with you?
J: I wanted to check my blood pressure as it read 130/90 last week during my visit to another clinic.
Dr: Your last record with us was May 2007 - 110/70. Good. Does your family have history of high blood pressure?
J: Yes, my mom.
Dr: Okay, let me check...It reads 120/80. Normal. Let me check again. 120/80. Looks okay.
J: Okay thanks doctor.

Dr: Don't be fat.
J: Okay.

Being curious, I googled "high blood pressure 120/80" and found this. US guidelines say blood pressure of 120/80 mm Hg is not "normal". Oh no. I now have pre-hypertension. I hope I do not contribute to the country's statistics of some 43% of Malaysians aged over 30 years who have high blood pressure (hypertension).

According to the article, I should now...

No.1 Lose weight
My BMI is 18 which is classified underweight.

2. Exercise
I do exercise a few times a week.

3. Drink less alcohol
I don't drink.

4. Reduce sodium intake
Ok I admit, I like salt.

5. Change my diet - high in fruits and veggies.
I think I eat these quite alot.

By the way, I do have high cholesterol and during my childhood days, I had chicken pox and pneumonia. Do people get sick of getting sick? I do.

No comments: